Powder Tower Prague - History and View
Powder Tower is one of the oldest medieval towers in Prague. It was constructed in 1475 by the architect Matej Rejsek in a Gothic style of architecture. The tower is built of sandstone, a popular material for medieval structures, and has many decorative elements, most of which come from the latest renovation in the 19th century.
- The original color of the tower is beige! Powder Tower darkened with time to the absorbing quality of the sandstone and pollution.
- Powder Tower was supposed to be connected to the King's Court complex, but the king at that time, Vladislav II, decided to change his residence due to riots. Powder Tower was mainly used as one of the gates of the Old Town. In the 17th century, it was used as a storage for gunpowder, that is where the name Powder Tower comes from.
The Powder Tower stands on the Namesti Republiky (Republic Square Prague) right next to the Prague Municipal House. It is the beginning of the Prague Royal Way and Celetna shopping street.
Powder Tower View
Powder Tower is one of the most underrated Prague viewpoints, overshadowed by Petrin Lookout Tower and Old Town Hall Tower. We definitely recommend going up the Powder Tower, you just have to pick the right time!
- During sunny weather, we recommend visiting right after the tower opens, anytime between 10 am and 12 pm. That way the sun will not be in the way of your photographs and will beautifully illuminate the entire Old Town and Prague Castle.
- During cloudy weather, you can visit any time between 10 am and 6 pm.
Our Local Guide Tip
- Go up the Powder Tower Gate for an unusual view of Prague Old Town.
- We start our Prague Free Tour every day at 10 AM and 3 PM in front of the Powder Tower!
Powder Tower Entrance Fee and Opening Hours
- Powder Tower is opened for visits daily from 10 am till 6 pm. The entrance is 100czk for adults.
- You can see the Astronomical Clock Tower, Tyn Church, and Prague Castle from the Powder Tower viewpoint.
See more of our Prague Travel Tips.
Author: Valeriia Zahradnikova and Vaclav Zahradnik, Prague guides certified by Prague City Tourism agency. Valeriia and Vaclav have worked in tourism for over 6 years and have guided thousands of Prague visitors.